• The opinions expressed within the content are solely the author’s and do not reflect the opinions and beliefs of the website or its affiliates.

Idol worship in hinduism

Dear Writers, இத்தளத்தில் எழுத விரும்புகிறவர்கள், mspublications1@gmail.com என்ற மின்னஞ்சலிலோ சைட் அட்மினின் (smteam) தனி செய்தியிலோ தொடர்பு கொள்ளவும்.தளத்தில் கதைகளை பதிவது எப்படி- விளக்கம்

anitha1984

SM Exclusive
SM Exclusive
Reaction score
*Why do Hindus worship idols, when God told us he is everywhere?*

*Swami Vivekananda once visited the King of Alwar in present day Rajasthan!*

*The King, in an attempt to mock idol worship, told Swamiji, "I've no faith in idol worship. How can one worship stone, wood and metal? I believe people are in illusion and just wasting time!"!*

*Swami Vivekananda ji smiled. He asked the King's assistant to take down a picture of the King that was hanging on the wall!*

*Although confused, the assistant did so. Then Vivekananda ji ordered him, "Spit on the picture!"!*

*The assistant was shocked, and looked at both of them. Vivekananda ji repeated his order again and again, becoming more stern each time!*

*The King was growing angry, and the assistant started trembling!*

*Finally, he cried out, "How can I spit on this? This picture is of our beloved and respected King!"!*

*Vivekananda ji then told him, "The King is sitting in front of you in person. This picture is merely paper - it does not speak, hear, think or move! But still you did not spit, because you see a shadow of your King in it, Spitting on it was like spitting on the King himself!"*

*The King looked at Swami Vivekananda ji and bowed down, clearly understanding what he was referring to!*

*This is the essence of idol worship! God is everywhere, but people want to pray to Him, thank him, ask for favors, offer food, tell stories, bathe Him, play with Him and do what they do in their lives with their children! Creating a human-like idol creates an image of God as a friend & companion, a guide, a protector, a giver, a fellow being and so on!*

*An idol is just a concrete representation, where they find Him! When I look into the eyes of an idol, I do not see stone or metal, but another pair of eyes looking affectionately at me, smiling!*

Advertisements

Latest updates

Latest Episodes

Advertisements